New Year, New Rants…you’ve been warned. 🙂
I hope everyone of you out there has had a good holiday season and a nice start to the new year. 2021 was quite a year for A LOT of folks and I hope that whatever your 2021 looked like, you are able to step into 2022 with a sense of purpose, strength and…yes, I’ll say it…hope. As I am often reminded, I can’t control the times I live. I can only control what I do with that time and my resolve is to continue to live into my most authentic and highest self, to continue to strive for healthy community and relationships, to continue to be open to change, to being more organized, better at communication and continuing to find the appropriate work | life balance for those I love and myself to thrive.
But enough about me, how are all of you?
As if there wasn’t enough going on this last year…we are just keeping the candle burning in 2022. 🙂
- I want to once again send out a huge thank you to all of you who supported our students over the holiday season at the Another Day of Sun Benefit. Your support, your presence, your generosity has ensured every student who would like to participate in theater for the remainder of the year will be able to participate. A deep, sincere thank you.
- AND…thank you to the students of the International Thespian Honor Society Troupe #10116 for working so hard, during such a challenging, busy and for some folks, overwhelmingly difficult fall. You had a vision, you had a hope and you worked hard making many sacrifices to put together this event because you had a heart to support EACH OTHER. Thank you.
- Another shout out to those of you who have taken on a variety of extra responsibilities as a way to serve and support the theater program here. We have quite a few folks printing programs, working the box office and concessions, helping backstage, showing up after school to slap on some paint, etc. You are LOVED, and your work, no matter how anonymous or behind-the-scenes you keep it, changes lives. Thank you.
Some CALENDAR stuff:
The end of the semester, aka finals week, runs January 24-28. If this is your first finals at La Salle, there are NO CLASSES during finals week. The week prior is the last “official” week of classes and during finals week students will come in to take finals, then go home. Friday, January 28 is a NO SCHOOL day…unless a student is making up a final. Check out the La Salle website for a complete list of the finals schedule.
I know this only partially applies to some of you. If you have a student taking a theater class with me, please remember this date. FRIDAY, January 21, 2022. That is the ABSOLUTE last day I will accept late work and assignments for credit.
UPCOMING Theater Events
Gifted by Tommy Lee Johnston
Produced by La Salle Theater
Directed by Aaron Leonard-Graham ’22
Opens Friday, Feb. 4, 2022 7pm and runs first 2 weekends of Feb.
4th Annual Original Works Scriptwriting Competition
Open to ALL La Salle Students
NWOC Regional Theater Festival Hillsboro High School
International Thespian Honor Society Members ONLY
Mamma Mia! Spring musical
Opens Friday, April 22, 2022 at 7pm and runs last two weekends of April
1st Annual Filmmaker’s Gala
4th Annual Original Works One Act Festival
Artist’s Aiding Artists Benefit
4th Annual Sheltony Awards Ceremony and ITS Inauguration
I’ll post more details and information about many of these events as we get closer. Lots of opportunities for our students to participate, to grow, to continue to improve in our pursuit of excellence.
The most immediate things to know about are:
- Gifted, our winter show has posted the cast and crew list and rehearsals will begin this upcoming week after school. If you have a student involved in this production, rehearsals, crew work days are scheduled after school from about 3:30 – 5:30pm. The full cast and crew list as well as rehearsal schedule is available on Schoology and will shortly be available on the La Salle Theater website.
- As many of you know, auditions for our spring musical, Mamma Mia! Will take place between January 12 – 14, 2022 after school in the theater. The cast and crew forms are available on Schoology. Please know, this is a thrilling, exciting and BIG project as all of our spring musicals are. The audition process will take place over 3 days with choreography on the 12th, vocal and acting auditions on the 13th and, if needed, callbacks on the 14th. The cast and crew list will be posted no later than the 16th. All of our shows, especially our spring musical is a big commitment. There will be choreography rehearsals, vocal rehearsals, character and blocking rehearsals, rehearsals with the orchestra, rehearsals with the crew…it is going to be a joyful LIFE AFFIRMING show AND a lot of work. Please make sure the timeline your students will be asked to commit to; works for your family. And let me know if you have any questions, comments, ideas or concerns.
There are plenty of opportunities to connect and likely in the next update I’ll share some more information about events, introductions to some parent volunteers and production support staff and additional updates. Thanks for being a part of this craziness.
PS – There will be an in-person meeting for London 2022 on January 24 2022. This meeting is open to everyone, folks who have already signed up for the tour and folks who are curious and | or still on the fence. There will be some snacks, some silly games and some information.
Monday, January 24 from 3:30 – 4:30pm. Mark your calendars. 🙂
Additionally, for those who have a student participating in Mamma Mia there will be a Zoom informational meeting on Tuesday, January 18 from 3:30 – 4:00pm. It’s completely optional: however, if this will be your first La Salle musical, I would encourage you to be a part of it. It’s a good chance to ask questions, meet the production staff and hopefully have a good sense of what this is all about and what the experience will be like.
I’ll end with a poem that’s been on my heart all week. From the incomparable Maya Angelou, a portion of her poem And Still I Rise. Happy New Year!
You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I’ll rise.
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I’ll rise.
You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise.
May your 2022 be one of becoming, of hopeful perseverance, a year when each of you rise.
Fly Falcons, fly!